Are you looking for an expert Python developer to build a market-ready website or application for your business?
When hiring Python programmers, the emphasis is on getting the right professionals to handle your project. This is because most startups have crashed due to engaging inexperienced developers.
Hiring a dedicated software engineer on your own can be a cumbersome task if you are non-technical and don't know what tech and soft skills to look for.
That is why we have put up this guide on hiring not just anyone but the best Python developer for your software development project.
- A Python developer is an expert that builds websites or applications for clients with Python programming language.
- When hiring a Python engineer, you should describe your project in detail and consider technical and soft skills before you shortlist and interview the programmer.
- Some of the technical skills of a Python programmer are knowledge of Python data type and structure, variables, file handling, front-end development, multi-purpose architecture, version control, etc.
- Some of the soft skills of a Python developer are communication, time management and problem-solving skills.
- When employing a Python developer, nearshore development is the best hiring option. Outsourcing your project to nearshore developers will give you access to software engineers across tech stacks
What Is a Python Developer?
Python programmers or engineers are members of a software development team that design, code, and deliver websites or applications with the Python programming language.
These programmers often work on the server side by writing, testing, and debugging the code that powers the application from behind the scene.
They work with other team members to build websites or web apps that suit the user's needs.
Responsibilities of a Python Developer
Python programmers have many tasks aside from writing clean and efficient codes. Some of their duties are:
- Building the back-end components. Programmers must know how to develop the server side of a website or an application. Aside from that, the developer must know how to use robust server-side logic to build an engaging app.
- Building a fast website or app. There are many tools Python developers can use to create a website or application with low latency, fast loading speed, and adequate security. When hiring an expert, ensure the professional knows the importance of creating a fast web app.
- Testing and debugging. Testing software is crucial to ensure it works optimally. Python engineers must test applications using tools like PyUnit, Behave, Pytest, etc. Aside from that, they should be able to debug applications and fix errors before deployment.
- Collaborating with clients and team members. One important responsibility of Python developers is collaborating with everyone involved in making an application. They must work with the client and team members to develop a user-friendly app that meets all the business goals.
Where Can I Find Python Developers?
You can explore several options when hiring python developers so that you can choose a model that works best for your project.
Most businesses will hire freelance Python programmers, while others will post an advertisement online and hire an in-house developer.
The third option, which works for many, is outsourcing the Python project to a software development agency. Let's consider each engagement option now.
One way to find Python developers is by hiring freelancers to work on your project if you have a small, one-time task that is not complex.
Also, this option is cost-saving as most freelance Python experts will charge less. But engaging freelancers come at a price, andsScaling your project will be difficult when you hire a freelancer.
Aside from that, managing the project from beginning to end will be a problem, and the programmer might not even meet your deadline. These are some reasons businesses will go for other hiring options.
Hire a Programmer that Works from Your Office
If you don't trust freelancers enough to hire one, another option is to employ a python developer who works in-house. The benefits of hiring in-house programmers are easy communication, collaboration, and solid product knowledge.
Since the Python engineers are part of your team, there will be no need to explain your products or services because they already know what you do. But hiring in-house programmers is more expensive than freelancers. Also, you have to rent office space, buy tech resources and pay other benefits aside from salary.
Outsource Your Project
Outsourcing your project to a nearshore development company is one of the best options when looking for Python developers.
The advantages of this hiring model are that you will have access to programmers across tech stacks and can form your team quickly.
Since most software development projects require the services of more than one developer, you can easily scale your team as your project requirements grow and hire any expert you want.
And you don't have to stress yourself interviewing and screening applications like you will if you hire freelancers or an in-house programmer.
Common Mistakes Employers Make When Hiring Python Programmers
To avoid a waste of time and resources when hiring Python developers, here are some common mistakes to avoid.
Depending on Passive Recruiting
In passive hiring, an employer will run job advertisements on different platforms and wait for candidates to apply before examining their CVs. While this method can be effective for some, you will lose many opportunities.
The best way to hire Python developers is through active recruiting, which involves monitoring the best programmers on various platforms and the projects they are working on. Tracking reviews and ratings from previous employers will make it easy to fit the best fit.
Failing to Examine the Python Developer's Technical Skills
When employing a programmer, examining practical and theoretical knowledge is crucial before settling for one. Most business owners will make the mistake of hiring candidates with little technical expertise and fail to test their skills.
If you don't have enough technical knowledge of what it takes to hire a good Python engineer, it is better to get a tech lead who will be in charge of interviews and the development process.
Failing to Consider Soft Skills
While most employers and startup founders might pay attention to technical skills, they may fail to consider soft skills before hiring them.
Soft skills like the ability to communicate are vital in every software development project because it keeps the project owner informed about progress. If a developer fails to communicate, it can create blocks in the development process and leads to stagnation.
With all these in mind, let's consider how to hire Python developers.
Steps to Hiring Python Programmers
Hiring Python engineers requires due diligence if you want the best to work on your project. These are some points to help you get started.
Describe Your Project in Detail
One simple way to do that is to create a document defining everything about the product you want to create. You can describe all the deliverables you want in the project.
Doing these will help you define your team size and if you need junior, mid-level, or senior Python programmers to build your product.
Also, you can create a list of your project goals and tech specifications to help you communicate your requirements better to the candidate.
Consider the Developer's Skills
When hiring a programmer, another thing to consider is the skills. Watch out for knowledge of core Python, frameworks and libraries, front-end development, etc.
- Solid understanding of core Python. A Python programmer must have a solid grasp of the primary concept of Python, like data structure and types and variables, file handling, exception handling and object-oriented programming.
- Knowledge of Python frameworks. Frameworks speed up the software development process and increase time to market. You should hire Python programmers that know frameworks like Bottle, CherryPy, Dash, Flask, Giotto, Django, Growler, Falcon, Uvloop, etc.
- Python libraries. The programmer you hire should be skilled in Python libraries to be able to implement packages provided by its ecosystem. Common libraries are TensorFlow, Numpy, LightGBM, Scipy, Scikit-Learn, Keras, PyTorch, etc.
- Knowledge of front-end development. Aside from using back-end technologies, Python developers also work on the front end to ensure that the client-side requirements match the server-side needs. You should hire programmers that know front-end technologies to work on your project.
- Familiarity with Python ORM libraries. An object-relational mapper (ORM) is a code library like SQLAlchemy, Django ORM, and Tortoise ORM that helps automate the transfer of data stored in a relational database. The programmer you hire must have a solid knowledge of ORM.
- Multi-Process architecture. Hire Python programmers familiar with the multi-process architecture and how the system will work after deployment. This will enable the engineer to identify and solve problems and achieve a more optimised result.
- Version control. Version control tools like BitBucket, GitHub and Gitlab will help the developer track any changes made in the code and collaborate with other programmers working on the project.
Choose Candidates with Relevant Experience
Hiring programmers with enough tech skills but no relevant experience won't be a good idea because it will drastically affect your development project.
One way to ensure you engage the right fit when you want to employ a developer is to consider relevant experiences. You can hire junior Python developers if you want to expand your in-house team with new hires and have a less complex project.
Mid-level and senior Python programmers have over four years of experience and know what they do when working on a project, making them perfect for complex tasks.
Aside from considering experience, it would help to examine the Python programmer's portfolio. Portfolios showcase developers' past projects and can help you understand how they put their skills to use. It would help if you settled for an expert that has worked on similar projects to yours.
Suppose you outsource your project to a nearshore development agency. In that case, you don't have to stress yourself going through all the portfolios because their programmers are pre-vetted and have experience working on projects like yours.
Interview the Programmer
After shortlisting developers based on their skills, experiences and past projects, you should interview them. Common Python interview questions to ask are
- What is Python?
- What's PEP 8, and why is it important?
- How do you handle memory in Python?
- How will you send an email using a Python Script?
- What is a dynamically typed language?
- What is Python's scope?
- What is pass in Python?
- What are the common built-in data types in Python programming language?
- What are lists and tuples?
- What is Python used for?
- Is Python an interpreted or a compiled language?
- What are Decorators in Python?
- How do you debug a Python program?
- What are some of the features added in Python 3.8 version?
- Which Python database does Python support?
- What is PIP?
Assign a Test Task
You can proceed to the next stage when you have gotten the right programmers after the interviews. This step will help you assess the developers' skills and experience.
Of course, you don't want to engage incompetent developers and waste your time and money. That is why assigning a test task is the best way to assess their knowledge and determine their ability to handle a project in a real-life situation.
Pay Attention to Soft Skills
Here are some soft skills to consider when hiring a Python programmer.
- Communication. To fulfil a software development project, you and the programmer must communicate effectively at every project stage. That is why communication skills are crucial when engaging a Python programmer. The developer should be able to explain technical terms in a way you will understand. Ensure that the programmer understands your business language to build a product that speaks to your customers.
- Teamwork. Most software development projects need more than one developer working on them simultaneously, so you must hire programmers who can work effectively as a team. Developers with great technical skills but lacking team spirit will not be useful for you.
- Problem-solving. It is normal for problems to arise in the process of developing your software product. When such things happen, the developer will actively solve the problems and ensure that the project goes as planned. That is why hiring a Python engineer with problem-solving skills is crucial.
- Time management. How the developer manages time can make or break your project. A good Python programmer must be able to meet deadlines and ensure the completion of your project on time.
Agree on Deliverables and Sign Contracts
Before finalising the hiring process and signing contracts, you should list all the deliverables you want in the project and agree on when and how they will be delivered.
Also, you must agree on a payment method that works for you and the developer and ensure that the total cost is within your budget. You can then sign contracts with the programmer or the outsourcing agency.
To hire Python programmers, you have to consider, above all things, technical and soft skills. Aside from that, you must list your project details, consider the developers' portfolio and experience, and interview them to assess their skills.
To complete the vetting process, you must test the programmers' skills to assess their ability to handle a real Python project.
Did you know that if you outsource your software development project to a nearshore development agency like Deazy, you won't go through the stressful process described above?
Outsourcing your Python project to us will give you access to a team of experienced, pre-vetted Python developers capable of building a product that meets users' expectations.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are the Skills Required for a Python Developer?
When hiring a Python programmer, look for technical and soft skills. Examples of technical skills are knowledge of front-end development, Python frameworks, data types and structure, file handling, database management, etc. Soft skills to watch out for are communication and problem-solving skills.
Where Can I Find Python Developers?
You can hire freelance programmers from any freelance platform or post job advertisements to hire in-house developers. The third and best method for startups and organisations is to outsource your software development project to a nearshore development agency and get access to experienced developers across tech stacks.
Hiring a blockchain developer is an uphill task for two reasons - there are few programmers, and...
Are you planning to hire a software engineer to build your startup's web or mobile application?